Florida Cyclocross Chatter Vol. 1
A major goal of FLCX.org is to keep you up-to-date on all the news and happenings in Florida and beyond. We are here to provide you with information and pass along stories that have come across our wire, or have been emailed to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here is a quick round-up of the stories we are following:
Lakeland Short-Track Cyclocross Throwdown
- A recent post on our Facebook Group from Jason Bergwell states that there will be a cyclocross training race on Saturday, October 13th in Lakeland, Florida. Registration opens at 7:30am and racing begins at 8:30am and the event will offer three fields (A’s, B’s and Juniors) for $15. Stay tuned for more information.
Thornton Clinic Fast Approaching
- The Josh Thornton Kickoff Party is fast approaching and Thornton has been out to the Little Everglades Ranch scouting out possible courses and working with State Championship promoter, Dan Millstead, on some new ideas for the big January race:
Thornton scouting out a new track at the ranch? (Photo: Dan Millstead)
- The Tallahassee gang is helping organize the annual Spaghetti 100 ride hosted by the Capital City Cyclists. The event is on Saturday, October 6th and features a cyclocross specific 60mile option on some beautiful full-canopied gravel roads. Jack Tomassetti offers this photo:
The roads of the Spaghetti 100 (Photo: Jack Tomassetti)
- Tomassetti also checked at the new venue for Tally Cross, which he promises to be the most unique yet. Judging by the picture we don’t doubt him for a second:
New mascot for Tally Cross? (Photo: Jack Tomassetti)
USGP Sponsorship Issues
- Many Florida cross racers make the drive north to Louisville for their annual USGP event. Judging by the articles from Cyclocross Magazine and VeloNews things are not looking up for the race promoters after a sponsor missed a payment. Sadly, this is the same group that won the right to host the UCI World Championships in February.
It Could Be Worse
- Our friends at Minnesota Cyclocross posted this photo on their facebook page from their state championships. You have to think the riders wish they had their races in the 70 degree sunshine of Florida:
Don’t land on me, bro. (Photo: MNCX.org)