In FLCX Power Rankings one day you are in, and the next you are out. Unless you are Jack Rich, who I find really, really, really hot right now. -Heidi Klum
The Florida cyclocross world is a tough one.
On any given weekend a bunch of fast people can show and rip your legs off only to never be seen or heard of again. This is often the case at the outlying races on the FLCX calendar. Every year it is a given that Tallahassee will bring out a few fast racers that sleep in hibernation for an entire year only to destroy all comers in routine fashion. For example, Graham Gillis (Gulf Coast Velo) did his usual domination of the cx3 field on Saturday for the second straight year only to take the leap into the 1/2 race on Sunday to be destroyed (ed. how does it feel, Graham?) by the big guns of Florida racing. In short, your time at the top can’t last forever.
The chase is on for Stubbs, Rich and Slack. (Photo: Jim Mehr)
Think of the Power Rankings as a pound-for-pound list of the best cyclocross racers in Florida. If all things were equal who would win a race between the racers. As you can imagine this is a very difficult thing to figure out and that is why we have retained a mathematical expert to create a super-scientific formula to help us determine who is the best cyclocross racer in Florida. Here is how it is tabulated:
- Performance relative to category 41%
- Consistency 34%
- How pro does the rider look 17%
- Jerk Quotient* 12%
While consistency is a large component of the rankings formula it doesn’t help if you don’t show up. The seven individuals that fell of the list this week are examples of this. Five of them didn’t race at all and two (Ryan Fisher and Jason Guillen) didn’t “show up” and put in performances that left many wanting.
On to the rankings!
2012/13 FLCX Power Rankings: Weekend #3
1. Jack Rich (Infinity Bike Shop) | 35+ | Last Week: #1
- Two wins in the 35+ field in Tally.
- Consistently near the top despite being old enough to be the father of 98% of his competitors.
- Our first repeat on the top step and it might be short lived.
- Very close to dropping a spot after a miserable DNF in the Saturday Single Speed race.
2. Eric Stubbs (352 Racing p/b Bikes and More) | cat1/2 | Last Week: UR
- Two huge wins in Tally against large and competitive fields.
- In the driver’s seat for taking over the top spot after Tampa weekend.
- First appearance in Florida this year for Stubbs. If he keeps showing he should be near the top.
- Failed to buy Power Rankings editor a drink on Saturday night. This hurts Jerk Quotient score.
3. Chris Slack (Infinity Bike Shop) | cat1/2 | Last Week: #3
- Three straight weeks at number three for the 2011/12 FLCX Series winner.
- Currently in first overall in the 1/2 series.
- Another predictable performance. Saturday=Pathetic. Sunday=Fantastic.
- Big test in Tampa this weekend. Can Slack hang with the big guns?
4. Ben Wilson (Super Cool Bike Shop) | Cat4, Cat3, SS | Last Week: UR
- Where did this guy and his muscles come from?
- A win on Saturday in the cat4s. A solid second on Sunday in the cat3s and Single Speed.
- Racing on mountain bike may be a detriment on some courses.
- Seriously, have you seen the muscles on this guy?
5. Chase Tennyson (352 Racing p/b Bikes and More) | cat3 | Last Week: UR
- A strong return to the power rankings after a dominating cat3 win on Sunday.
- A steady workmanlike performance on Saturday against a stacked cat3 field.
6. Martin Cox (Super Cool Bike Shop) | Cat1/2, SS | Last Week: UR
- Former state cyclocross champion makes a triumphant return in Tally.
- Four races. Two podiums. One win in Single Speed on Sunday.
- Raced mountain bike on Sunday when he had cross bike on Saturday. Major faux-pas.
7. Regan Woodall (Top Gear Cycles) | Cat1/2, SS | Last Week: UR
- No, not that Woodall.
- Dominate win in the Single Speed race on Saturday.
- Two quality races in the 1/2s in first cross race weekend ever.
8. Jody Alexander (Top Gear Cycles) | W4 | Last Week: UR
- Competitive performance against her male counterparts.
- Like GI Joe said, “showing up is half the battle.”
- Scored valuable points for Maverick and Goose’s Bike Shop.
9. Christian Ahrens (352 Racing p/b Bikes and More) | SS | Last Week: 7
- A knee injury can’t keep Ahrens from fighting for every point in his quest for the Single Speed overall.
- His teammate, Keith Richards, is doing all he can to keep that quest from happening.
- A third and a fourth against some mountain bike ringers.
- Preparing for a run at the SESSCXC as he has an actual single speed cyclocross bike.
10. Jeff Zipperer (Infinity Bike Shop) | 45+, Cat4 | Last Week: UR
- Wheelie professional.
- Two seconds in 45+ keep him atop the point standings.
- Offers beer hand-ups to Power Rankings editor.
Falling Off: Ryan Fisher (352 Racing p/b Bikes and More), Calixto Manuel (Team Velocity), Rich Weinstock (Van Dessel), Laura Parsons (Rose Bandit), Todd Frobish (Brick City Bicycles), Keith Lawler (Miami Velo), Jason Guillen (GearLink)