2012/13 FLCX Power Rankings: Pre-season
You have often wondered who the strongest racer in Florida Cyclocross is regardless of category. Okay, you probably haven’t wondered about this, but just in case you have, we have gone ahead and done the work for you. Think of it as a gift, or even better, an unofficial pound for pound ranking of FLCX racers. Naturally, these rankings should be taken 100% seriously.
How are the power rankings created? A few of us go into the lab (Subaru Outback) and we look at all the statistics. We then argue for about 45minutes trying to figure out who deserves to be mentioned and where they should rank. Then we come up with a few snarky comments about the racers skills and personality. A very scientific process:
Proof of the science used to determine power rankings. (Photo: Tim Hayes)
Don’t see your name on the rankings? Well, you have some work to do.
2012/13 FLCX Power Rankings: Pre-Season
1. Jack Rich (Infinity Bike Shop) | 35+
- Regardless of category Jack Rich was the most dominate rider in Florida Cyclocross during the 2011/12 season.
- Can he continue his domination in the increasingly competitive 35+ field?
2. Chris Slack (Infinity Bike Shop) | Cat1/2
- Slack Bagger is fast and consistent.
- The favorite for the cat1/2 overall title this season.
- Rumor has it that he still hasn’t put in for his upgrade from cat3. Seriously. What a bag of sand this guy is.
- UPDATE: We have received word from Chris Slack that his request has been approved. Good work, big guy.
3. Josh Thorton (St. Pete Bike and Fitness) | Cat1/2
- Defending Florida State Champion.
- Has had a good start on the National Calendar despite starting races near the back row. May not enter many Florida races, but deserves a mention for flying our flag proudly on the National Circuit.
4. Zoe Mullins (Colavita) | Women 1/2/3
- Zoe ran away with the Women4 title last season. With the upgrade to cat3 she should be considered a favorite for the series win.
- Um, what else is there to say about Zoe?
- #YOLO #BIEBERFEVER #BESTIES #GOSSIPGIRL
5. Dario Perez (Miami Velo) | 45+ and Single Speed
- If Dario is able to show up to race he will more than likely win the 45+ category and place in the Single Speeds.
- Heckling tip? Lawyer jokes.
6. Steve Noble (Infinity Bike Shop) | 45+/55+/Single Speed
- Old enough to be your grandpa. Fast enough to destroy you.
- Drives all over the state to score points, and from time to time gets in the money when enters the 1/2 field.
7. Jackson Mehr (U/A) | Junior 10-14
- Winner of the ultra-competitive Junior 10-14 category in 2011/12.
- Will his parents continue to drive him all over the state? We hope so.
8. Keith Richards (352 Racing p/b Bikes and More) | Cat1/2
- Fastest racer over the barriers in Florida.
- Your mom has had a crush on this man for years.
9. Taylor Norton (Orange State Cycling) | Cat3 and Single Speed
- Lots of pressure on Taylor to fill the void left by Pete Young’s departure to Tennessee.
- FLCX asks the Magic 8-Ball, “Can Taylor finish a race without a mechanical?” Magic 8-Ball responds, “Who is Taylor Norton?”
10.(tie) John Hovius (Orlando Road Club) | Everything
- This man is a beast.
- If you don’t know who John Hovius is just look for the guy that enters every race on race day.
- John is responsible for bringing several of our junior racers into the fold through his triathlon connections.
10*.(tie) Brooke Rich (Infinity Bike Shop, Destroyer of Souls) | Women 1,2
- Brooke not only won her category almost every time she raced last year, despite coming off an injury, she usually beat everyone in the rest of the categories in her wave.
- After Brooke won her category, she would feed her husband while he was racing, as well as chase her adorable toddler around.
- In a training race, she let me ride away from her, then bridged back up to me, then heckled me ruthlessly, and then dropped me. Hard.
- She is one of the most cheerful people in FLCX, which somehow makes the ass-kickings she hands out even worse.
Other Notables: JP* (Colavita), Ben Smith (352 Racing p/b Bikes and More)
*Added by Christian.